Tere Richardson Steel, a member of Page, Mannino, Peresich & McDermott, PLLC, has practiced law with the firm since 1984. She is originally from Itta Bena, Mississippi.
Tere attended undergraduate school at Mississippi State University before attending law school at the University of Mississippi. She was admitted to practice law in 1982. She relocated to the Mississippi Gulf Coast upon graduation from law school and acceptance of a federal clerkship for United States District Court Judge Dan M. Russell, Jr. Tere’s practice has primarily focused on governmental liability and labor and employment law.
Labor and Employment law for public and private employers
- Employment litigation
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Title VII
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Drafting and reviewing employment manuals and handbooks
- EEOC defense
- Civil service
- Drug testing
- Defense of claims for unemployment benefits
Governmental entity law
- Section 1983 defense
- Constitutional Law
- Mississippi Tort Claims Act defense
- Public official and law enforcement defense
- Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for City of Biloxi, 1984-85
- Law Clerk to Honorable Dan M. Russell, Jr., United States District Court for Southern District of Mississippi, 1982-84
- Law Clerk to United States Attorney, Northern District of Mississippi, 1981-82
- Supreme Court Review Editor, 1981-82
- Mississippi Law Journal, Staff member, 1980-81
- University of Mississippi, Juris Doctor, 1982
- Mississippi State University, Bachelor of Science, 1975
- Chanek V. City of Biloxi, Not Reported in F. Supp. 3d, 2013 WL 1136333 (S.S. Miss. March 18,2017)
- Harris v. Coregis Ins. Co., Not Reported in F. Supp.2d, 2005 WL 1362337 (S.D. Miss. June 2, 2005)
- Peters v. City of Biloxi, Mississippi, 57 F.Supp.2d 366 (S.D.Miss.1999)
- Star Satellite, Inc. v. City of Biloxi, 779 F.2d 1074 (5th Cir. 1986)
- Burgess v. City of Gulfport, 814 So. 2d 149 (Miss. 2002)
- Biloxi Firefighters Ass’n v. City of Biloxi, 810 So. 2d 589 (Miss. 2002)
- Leslie v. City of Biloxi, 758 So. 2d 430 (Miss. 2000)
- Ladnier v. City of Biloxi, 749 So. 2d 139 (Miss. 1999)
- Tere Steel has been chosen as a 2018 Leaders in Law honoree by the Mississippi Business Journal, honoring the state’s most successful lawyers.
- On April 23, 2015, Tere R. Steel was a speaker at the Employment Law Beyond the Basics seminar at the Imperial Palace Casino, Resort & Spa in Biloxi, Mississippi.
- On June 15, 2011, Tere R. Steel was a speaker at the Fundamentals of Employment Law seminar at the Grand Biloxi Casino, Hotel & Spa in Biloxi, Mississippi.
- On May 28, 2009, Tere R. Steel co-presented a seminar in Biloxi, Mississippi entitled “Business Strategies to Prepare for the Employee Free Choice Act”
Outside of the office
Away from the office, Tere enjoys spending time with her family.