Michael E. Whitehead
Michael Whitehead is a member of the firm. He is a native Mississippian, born January 20, 1965 in Jackson County.
Michael has been involved in complex cases ranging from chemical exposure and environmental litigation (groundwater pollution) to defense of flood claims following Hurricane Katrina. He takes a practical approach to solving clients' problems. For example, when a client was facing a large number of lawsuits as a result of allegedly polluting a municipal water system, Michael convinced the court that each plaintiff should reveal if his or her property had been tested for the presence of chemicals before moving forward. When it was revealed that they had not, the court dismissed the cases. It was a simple solution for what appeared to be a complex, long-term issue for the client.
Michael is married to Cheryl Waltman.
Admissions and Licenses
Mississippi Bar Association, 1990
U. S. District Courts, Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi, 1990
Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1990
Flood litigation/National Flood Insurance Program
Real estate transactions and litigation
First and third party insurance defense
Trespass and nuisance
Page, Mannino, Peresich & McDermott, PLLC for 17 years, Member
Intern, DeKalb County, GA Solicitor's Office
Bank of Walnut, MS (now known as Walnut Acquisition Corp.)
Board of Directors, Solicitors Office
Kings Inn Motel, President
The Whitehead Foundation, President
Emory School of Law, LLM (Litigation) Cum Laude, 1992
University of Mississippi, Juris Doctor, Summa Cum Laude, 1990
University of South Alabama, Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude, 1988
Professional and Civic Involvement
Defense Research Institute
Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- Summary judgment granted for a WYO carrier where the carrier informed the injured of the renewal/premium due after the policy expired.
- Defeated motion for class certification seeking to certify a class of grain elevator workers alleging personal injury from exposure to fumigants.
- Obtained dismissal of foreign workers' claims of exposure to chemicals in Central America based on forum non conveniens.
- Summary judgment granted to WYO carrier on insureds' failure to file sworn proof of loss.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of municipality in developer's inverse condemnation claim.
Outside of the office
Michael enjoys golf, fishing, and working with mentally challenged persons.